As part of a blogger outreach program for National Nutrition Month, Certified Steak and Seafood provided me and and other food bloggers with complimentary CSS products and invited us to create recipes to be featured on the company's Facebook page.
Here's the first of my recipes!
RECIPE: FLAT IRON STEAK LETTUCE WRAPS
(Yield: 8-12 wraps)
· 1 head of iceberg or butter lettuce (or other leafy lettuce that folds easily), washed and separated into full leaves
· 2 Certified Steak and Seafood 7 oz. flat iron steaks
· 1 Tbsp olive oil
· 1/2 cup diced onion
· 2 Tbsp minced garlic
· 8 oz. mushrooms (stems removed), diced small
· 1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
· 8 oz. fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and dried
· 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
· 2 tsp chopped/ground fresh ginger
· 1 Tbsp rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar (NOT rice wine)
· 8 oz. can of water chestnuts, diced small
· 6 green onions, sliced
· 2 tsp sesame oil
· 24 hours in advance, if possible, pierce steaks with a knife and place in a zippable plastic bag with some reduced-sodium soy sauce to marinate. Be sure to squeeze all of the air out of the bag before sealing.
· One at a time, place steaks into a heavy plastic bag and pound it with the flat side of a meat tenderizer. (If you don’t have a tenderizer, the bottom of a heavy frying pan may work.) Pound steaks to a uniform thickness; do not pound them thin.
· Cut steaks across the grain into 1” wide strips.
· In a pan over 70% to 80% heat, cook the strips for about 2 minutes on each side, then reduce heat slightly and cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cooked strips from the pan and set them aside to rest.
· Remove any residue from the pan.
· Add olive oil to pan and set burner to 80% heat.
· When olive oil has heated for about a minute, add onion, garlic, mushrooms, bean sprouts, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, and rice vinegar.
· When mushrooms and onions are tender (3-5 minutes), add water chestnuts and green onions; mix well.
· Cut steak strips into 1/4" thick squares and add to pan.
· Remove pan from heat.
· Add sesame oil. If mixture is loose, add a bit of cornstarch to thicken.
· Scoop mixture into lettuce leaf cups; drizzle with sauce if desired.
RECIPE: SAUCE FOR LETTUCE WRAPS
(sauce can be made ahead of time, except the last two steps)
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 1/2 cup hot water
· 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
· 2 Tbsp rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar (NOT rice wine)
· 2 Tbsp chili sauce (the kind you find in the ketchup aisle – NOT Asian chile sauce) or ketchup
· 1 Tbsp lemon juice
· 1/8 tsp sesame oil
· 2 tsp hot water
· 1 Tbsp Chinese hot mustard
· 1-2 tsp garlic and red chile paste
· Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup hot water.
· Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili sauce, lemon juice and sesame oil; mix well.
· In a separate dish, combine 2 tsp hot water with hot mustard; mix well.
· Add mustard/water mixture and garlic and red chile paste to the rest of the mixture; mix well.
NOTE: Sauce recipe is a slightly modified version of a popular recipe found throughout the Internet.